Friday, January 8, 2021

Hush Hush - by Becca Fitzpatrick


I said that I would not review a bad book. I said it right here on this blog. Still, I couldn't resist. So here goes.

While checking out what avid readers are saying on the Facebook group YA Fantasy Addicts, I came across several gushing recommendations for Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick. 

I checked it out on Amazon, and I found that eighty-six percent of the more than 2200 reviews rated it four stars or higher. Well, all right then, rubbing my hands together, I settled in for a fun read. 

Page after page, I kept waiting for the fun to begin. Unfortunately, I was destined to be disappointed. Even after I'd realized I was bored, I persevered through one unrealistic scene after another. The boys rolling around on the filthy pool room floor, play fighting. Really? Just so we can rip Patch's shirt to reveal a clue? A v-shape scar on his back. Oh, I get it. He must have had his wings cut off. Right? I kept reading. I mean, really, with twenty-two hundred reviews? It's got to get better.

So at the point when our less than brilliant protagonist is peeling off her puffy cold-weather coat in freezing weather and using it as payment for directions from a bag lady. I say, are you kidding me? Enough. End of transmission. There are too many good books waiting to be read.

Bottom line, silly, boring, and dull. How do books like this get so many five star reviews? 

Shelley Lee Riley - Author of Into Madness Book One of the Born From Stone Saga and Casual Lies - A Triple Crown Adventure, a memoir about a horse with two names.

No comments:

Post a Comment